Makrolon AR sheet, a polycarbonate sheet that is abrasion and UV resistant offers glass-like hardness and has the impact strength of polycarbonate. It also provides on both the surfaces resistance against hazing and yellowing. It provides a 5-year warranty against weathering and de-lamination while it also provides an additional 10 years of warranty against breakage.
Since both the sides of the sheet have a coating of polycarbonate, therefore, it has an added advantage of surface hardness and very high resistance against abrasion. Since polycarbonate is inherently strong therefore this delivers an extra benefit to the strength and clarity of makrolon ar sheet.
Properties of Makrolon AR Sheet
This sheet has many benefits and advantages which it is why has gained so much popularity in the recent years mostly in the architectural sphere.
- Due to the fact that Makrolon AR Sheets are made up of polycarbonate, it provides an enormous amount of strength and hardness. The inherent strength of polycarbonate benefits the material greatly by increasing its hardness, solidity and toughness by ten-fold.
- The hard coat of the Makrolon AR sheet is inherently resistant against chemicals and has a long-lasting performance under harsh weather conditions.
- These are available in a wide range of colours and tints. Makrolon AR sheets can also be customised to one’s liking. These are available in the colour of clear and bronze which seems to be a popular choice indeed.
- It provides a warranty against hazing, yellowing and breakage.
- It is available in thickness of about 3-15mm and with a length of 3000mm along with a breadth of 2000mm.
Makrolon AR Sheet against Chemicals
Makrolon Sheets have been tested against many chemicals and due to his chemical resistant property; it is able to fend off many chemicals. It has been tested against a list of chemicals which are as follows: Acetone, Ammonia, Bleach, Benzene, Antifreeze, choloroform, denatured alcohol, diesel oil, kerosene, methyl alcohol, sodium hydroxide, turpentine etc. All of these chemicals have been resisted by Makrolon AR Sheets for a minimum of 24 hours or less.
Makrolon AR Sheets and Test Conditions
There have been many test conditions that Makrolon AR Sheets have been put through.
- It has been put through water absorption saturation at 23°C
- Water absorption equilibrium was conducted at 23°C with a 50% relative humidity.
- In mechanical test conditions, Makrolon AR Sheets has gone through tensile modulus test at 1mm/min. It has also been subjected to yield stress and strain each at 50mm/min. The flexural modulus and strength test conditions have been tested at 2mm/min each.
- The permanent service temperature of these sheets remains at about 120°C.
Makrolon AR Sheets Applications and Uses
The typical uses of Makrolon AR Sheets remain within the school, bus shelter and hospital glazing. Since these sheets are made up of polycarbonate, therefore, it provides a high amount of protection from harsh weather conditions. These products majorly satisfy the building code requirement which is why it is a popular choice in construction applications.
It is extensively used in the psychiatric and correctional facilities. These sheets are used popularly in the industries since they are constantly exposed to harsh chemicals. Due to the strength it provides, these sheets have a higher amount of resistance towards these chemicals, also they have been testing approved.
They also perform quite well for machine guards and views in windows in harsh chemical environments. But since, Makrolon AR Sheet has an abrasion resistant coating; therefore, it is recommended that these are exclusively used in the application of flat surfaces.