Now a days to meet the need of high population vegetables and fruits are all produced by using chemical means through using pesticides on them.Thus vegetables and fruits get it’s formation very fast and our market flooding with these fruits and vegetables. But we don’t think about how these pesticides produced fruits and vegetables are cursing our daily lives.
What are pesticides? How are we exposed to pesticides?
Pesticides are generally chemicals which are used to kill bugs, rodents and weeds in agriculture. Even those who do gardening at home also sometimes use pesticides to keep these plant eaters away. Thus pesticides are used to keep crops pest-free but this can cause various problems in our body and pregnant women. Pesticides contain toxins and pose some risks as we come in contact with them in our everyday life. Pesticides are easily contaminated within air, water, bug spray, cleaning products, food, lawn and garden, etc.
How pregnant women get harmed by pesticides?
The pregnant women those are exposed to these pesticides have problems in pregnancy causing harm to their babies. Various birth defects in the babies occur which will cause overall health problems like cancer, brain disorders and behavioural problems. Even later the baby may experience some learning problems. Again in some cases miscarriage, premature birth and low birth weight may happen due to pesticides usage.
Some protection tips from pesticides:
During pregnancy some tips to protect against pesticides is necessary. Pregnant ladies should be aware of some important tips to minimize the risks.
- They should be sure enough of the product they are using during pregnancy. The product label should be checked thoroughly before using it.
- If the pesticides usage is a must then least toxic pesticides available in market should be used in gardening. And she should not personally apply it in the garden. Skin should be covered enough when passing through the area which is pesticides treated.
- No form of pesticides should be used inside or outside your home during the course of pregnancy. You need to keep your children away from areas which have been recently effected with pesticides
- In case if you are pregnant and live in an agricultural area which is sprayed with pesticides it would be a wise idea to shift from the place
- Avoid any form of food which has high amount of pesticide residue and wash them fully before consumption.
How to avoid pesticides during pregnancy?
The expectants should eat organic foods only from the time of conception. Fresh fruits and vegetables of the season have fewer pesticides. All fruits and vegetables should be washed under running water before consuming them. This will help to wash away any pesticides on them. The outer leaves of leafy vegetables and outer skin of fruits should be peeled out. The fat of meat and skin of poultry and fish should be trimmed and disposed of.
So the message is pretty loud and clear which is to avoid pesticides during pregnancy at any costs during pregnancy.